Thursday, May 30, 2013

Before & After...

Canon T3i 1/320 f3.5 ISO100 18mm
*note, this image IS cropped, there is a junk pile to the left of the barn in the foreground.

Most of the examples I watched online for adjustment layers used over-exposed images.  I was wondering how much could be restored from an under-exposed one. I used Lightroom to manipulate this photo. The "After" image actually has 4 adjustment layers, but before I did that I made some adjustments to the image as a whole. First, I bumped down the exposure for the entire image (-2.70). This started to bring out the amazing blue in the sky, but it did make the barn in the foreground very dark, so my next step was to adjust the contrast from 3 to 10. Then I adjusted the overall vibrance of the image to 37, or, until I thought it looked good.

The barn in the foreground was still very dark, so I used the dodge adjustment brush to lighten the barn.      Then I grabbed a new adjustment brush, this time the exposure brush, and I just painted the sky, and then I bumped it down just a little more to enhance the color.  Next, I grabbed a new brush and I used it to burn the foreground, the actual ground, and the trees on the horizon, as well as the background, because I didn't want that to be a focus. Then I fiddled around with it for about an hour and I finally decided the tree trunk needed to be a little lighter, so I used a final adjustment brush to dodge only the tree trunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment